There’s no doubt about the benefits of Vitamin C for skin today, thanks to lots of research and information on the internet.
And if you’re wondering, yes, there’s lots more reason to swallow your Vitamin C supplements than just healthy skin.
From helping your gums stay healthy to keeping your blood free from toxic compounds such as lead, here are 20+ additional benefits of vitamin C for your body.
Want to use this Infographic? Just, copy and paste this code into your blog.
Text Script of Infographic
Vitamin C Benefits For Skin
- Slow the aging process and prevents wrinkle formation
- It boosts collagen production in the skin, allowing for development of a glowy, elastic skin
- Perfect for treating skin blemishes including acne, wounds, rashes, bruises because it speeds up the healing process.
- Has skin lightening properties that help with dark spots and discoloration
- Perfect for skin toning and removal of under eye circles
Vitamin C Benefits For Hair
- Strengthens the hair follicle, stimulates hair growth and minimizes hair breakage (good for hair loss)
- Helps with skin inflammations
- Protects against sunburn and accelerates healing process
Vitamin C Benefits For Nails
- Strengthens nails and prevents easy breakage
Vitamin C Benefits For Blood
- Reduction of lead toxicity levels in blood
- Boosts bodily absorption of iron from foods, which prevents the iron deficiency anaemia
Immune System Boosting
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant, so it fights off the free radicals that accumulate in our bodies from pollution, smoking, the sun etc. and cause various cancers.
- Can limit the formation of carcinogens of nitrosamine
- Improving vision for people with uveitis and cataracts
- Eases the symptoms of the common cold
- Effective at treating arthritis, due to its role in collagen formation
- Slows down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease and other neurological conditions such as dementia
Vitamin C Benefits For The Heart
- Improves muscle vasodilation, preventing heart attacks and strokes
- Slows down the progression of atherosclerosis (hardening of the heart vessels)
- Lowers hypertension
Vitamin C Benefits For Mood
- Necessary in the production of neurotransmitters including serotonin (the happiness chemical) and norepinephrine
Vitamin C Benefits For Teeth And Gums
- Supports healthy gums (deficiency of vitamin C cause scurvy)
Best way to apply
- Application on skin is 20× more effective than oral ingestion
Adequate Intake Requirement *
- 0 – 6 months 40 mg per day
- 7 – 12 months 50 mg per day
- Men 90 mg per day
- Women 75 mg per day
- Pregnant women 85 mg per day
- Breastfeeding women 120 mg per day
- Smokers 250 mg per day
- *According To the National Institute of Health
Some data and statistics
1 in 5 men*
1 in 9 women*
*Vitamin C deficiency in UK and North America, research done in 2011
In addition to all those vitamin C skin benefits you’ve probably heard, there’s lots more that this healthy compound can do for your body as shown above.
Some facts you need to know about Vitamin C
- Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin that is not stored in the body. To serve the body’s daily requirements, you need to consume it daily from outside sources.
- You can overdose on Vitamin C, so speak to your doctor or do some research on the internet before swallowing all those pills.
- Note: You need to take a good serving of Vitamin C to see any effect. Some of the benefits listed above were confirmed in trials where up to 500mg of vitamin C were served daily to research participants.
You can get Vitamin C from all types of fruits and vegetables including apples, mangoes, oranges, lemons and more.
If you can’t access them or have a deficiency, consider using Vitamin C supplements to add up for where your body is lacking.
Just remember to pass the supplements by your doctor first for approval and dosage prescription.
Good luck with your health!